Monday, March 31, 2014

So here is part 2. Let's see if it works  this time.
Here is the compass rose showing the boxes for data ports to be installed on site.




Finished drawers and pedestals.




Part of the last post that was giving me trouble was this video of the hidden drawers working. My thanks go out to Josh Pavliska for his work on the drawers. Some of the electronics and switching that enabled it all to work is voodoo to me.




 The drawers are held shut with an electromagnet system from Hafale. A spring on the drawer back pops it out when the power is killed to the magnets.




With that done we moved on to the task of inlaying the bronze signature ribbon. Hart, the sculptor who did the work for Brad Oldham helped me lay it out. then it was four days of intense routing, grinding, and carving.




I started by clamping the piece then scribing around it with an exacto knife. This left me a fine line that I could see flake away when I got real close.




Laminate trimmer with a 3/16 bit to start.




 My set up. Laminate trimmer, Dremel, Die grinder to ease the edges of the bronze, exacto knifes and a dovetail chisel where the tools of choice.















A few pics of the corner detail. The first one is before the patina was applied.













                                    Thanks Emily, I don't know how we are going to top this.

3 comments:

  1. Unbelievable work Chris! That is an amazing project, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Stunning beautiful work Chris!

    Pete(man)

    Just stunning!

    ReplyDelete