Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Thought I would go back and revisit a piece I did about 2 years ago.
Had a guy come into the shop that I share with Great American Carpentry Co. He was a client of theirs , they had just finished up a nice addition on the home.
 Steve started asking me questions about the finish I was using on a Elm Hunt Table we were refininshing. His next question after pointing at a highly carved Chippedale arm chair "can you build this" yeah but they'ed be real expensive was my answer. Can you build a chest? "sure anything you want Steve" was my reply. "let me show you some photos, so in my office we went. As I was going through my pics on the computer, Steve pics up a Wallace Nutting book. The following picture out of the book is what we decided on in a matter of about 5 minutes.  I was stunned to say the least. I immediately called Ed to see if this guy is for real. He is and off we went. My instuction was to build it the way I would for myself.


                                          So what comes next but a lot of hand cut dovetails This is the lower case          being done.





                                             

                                              Here is the lower case before the glue up.




The next couple are of the blocking for the bracket feet.






 On to the drawer fronts. These where some big fronts, 2 1/2" thick if my memory serves me right.





 The color variation comes from the difference between a sanded surface and a hand planed one.

.



 Next I started on the inside. With nothing in the picture to go by I made it the easy way. I used Lonnie Bird's basic design that he wrote about in Fine Woodworking. Thanks Lonnie !!






               At this point the bureau portion is complete. On to the upper bookcase portion.






 This shows the upper with the doors on before fluted pilasters. To do the crotch mahogany panels I had the Wood Gallery veneer a pair of panels. I gave them a very close dimension to make them and had them save the off falls so I could veneer the bevel that was done on a shaper. I think it worked out great, a nice look of crotch mahogany without the worry of an unstable panel warping or splitting.




                                                        A detail of the fluted pilasters.




 This is a shot of the jig I used with a laminate trimmer to rout the blind fretwork. Still had a lot of hand work to do.




Detail of the cornice.





    Ready for some color.


                                               




                                                       
                                           
                                           









    Just about ready to deliver. The hardware from Londonderry Brasses make it all come together.




                                                       In it's new home.  Thanks Steve



No comments:

Post a Comment